Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Suitcase

I am now on my third attempt at blogging.  Despite my avid love for writing, the idea of creating a "Blog" and actually having people find and follow it, threw me a curve ball I was never familiar with. Not being able to figure something out. The inability to do do what you know you can - because it's too hard.  Too many hurdles and hoops.. and for love of html how does this all work? So I cheated. Just a dollop of help from 17th Avenue Designs (thank you Kate) and a healthy dose of Freckled Laundry's (thank you Jami)insightful blogging wisdom. Here I am decked out in my boots and pearls, ready to share with the world a little inspiration from what I call - the suitcase theory.

Everybody has a suitcase. Packed for life's journey with all the gifts, talents, passions, fears, instincts, and abilities. A wardrobe of magnificent potential, or an outfit that doesn't quite fit. 

The suitcase analogy evolved for me, as a stay at home mother of two precious little ladies. I had worked hard on my career, after struggling through college trying to figure it all out.  So many passions, so many things I wanted to do. So many failed attempts and displaced notions of what I "should" be.  I tried teaching, graphic design, art, English, even Nursing. An element in each that I loved and appreciated - but I couldn't wear it, it didn't fit right, it didn't look good. Eventually I pulled out the business suit.  Not exactly what I had pictured, but it worked. I wore the suit for 10 years - right through the birth of the girls. Simmering. Knowing there was more in that suitcase I needed to try on. But it wasn't the season. I needed to "be still" and to be content. Young growing babies, needed me, and I them. I needed to find comfort in my suitcase and compromise. Staying at home was an amazing blessing. My best look ever. Then they grew. I stirred.  I needed to pull some "bling" from that suitcase to make me sparkle again. All the while KNOWING there was more to come.  I would try more on.  I could do it.  As I began to pull things from my "suitcase" again, I knew I would find something good. I was creative, resourceful, a workhorse. Gifts.  I loved writing, typography, decorating, painting, crafts, graphic design -  talents and passions packed into my suitcase. I could use them. I could wear them again. I could reconfigure and taylor them just so. In that moment, I realized I didn't have to discard the things that didn't fit or keep them locked up forever. But I would pull them out, try them all on again, mend them, and know that whatever I pulled out - would be spectacular - regardless of the season or style. I would own it, and it would be perfect, and that needed to be enough. And so it was.

So my now 13 year old daughter is trying sports and activities. Starting to pull things from her suitcase to see if they fit and more importantly if everyone else thinks they look good. Running and soccer are her favorites. The stride of a gazelle, but a heart for a soccer ball. But in my mind, I see her suitcase overflowing with choices but I know her gift is her stride. In our conversation, I learn that she likes to run because its easy for her. She doesn't practice, it just comes. With soccer, she has to practice to get better - but she loves it more. Ahhh. The suitcase theory.  Gift verses passion. The gifts from YOUR suitcase are those that are effortless. They flow. They are like your favorite jeans and your furry pajamas - familiar and comfortable. Passion is a fierce contender from the suitcase however. It can steal the show and overtake the entire suitcase. It can cause you to throw everything else out, overlooking the gifts and other talents you could try on. To donate everything. Suitcase bankruptcy. Try everything on. Wear it all and keep it all. Everything comes back in style right?

My suitcase? I think at 40, I am finally wearing the perfect outfit for ME. As the co-owner of a retail/boutique, I have learned that YES, God did pack my suitcase with options. But it's up to me to figure it, and to be thankful. I am honored that God picked me to own that suitcase. I found the outfits that combined my gifts and my passions into the most fabulous outfit. I hope I never have to take it off! It fits me. It flatters me, and makes me know that I used everything my suitcase for the journey.

What's in your suitcase? What outfit are you avoiding? Which gift or talent or passion is in there waiting for you to try it on?
Find the courage, pray for the wisdom, and know that no one else in the world has a suitcase like yours.

Kristen  




16 comments:

  1. Awesome post. I love how you defined gifts and passions. It was fun getting to know you better. I'm glad things are coming together and you are figuring out what you are meant to do - I agree, sometimes what seems pointless on our journey leads to skills that will be used later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite posts *ever*. Beautiful, Kristen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen,
    I came to your blog through Jami at Freckled Laundry. You hit the nail on the head. This could be like reading my life story. I went to school for illustration, worked in graphic design, floral design, and found my passion in Decorative Painting. But I've always dreamed of being a chef, a children's book illustrator, a jewelry designer ( I did dabble), a wedding cake decorator...I think that is why we are creative people. Always learning and doing something new. Now I have started a blog, and I struggle with what exactly it is about. If you get a chance to read it, I would love your input. Should it be about my business, my 1928 Dutch Colonial renovation, my family or how do I combine it all? I think that is something that I will struggle with. I look forward to reading more of your posts! I also love your photo with the girls!
    Best of luck!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you are a wonderful writer. Keep it up - you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristen - I came over from Jami's! You have a great thing going here! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following over from Jami`s blog. Love your story, so true of all of us!
    Thank you,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post.....from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So heartfelt ... great post, looking forward to more inspiration.
    Ciao for now

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a wonderful post...i'm still figuring out what is in my suitcase. i've had to put things back...but know that i will be able to pull them out again when it is the right time. coming from freckled laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kristen - just followed over from Jami's - LOVE this post! It's so beautifully written and is just what I needed to hear. I feel like I'm rummaging through my suitcase like a crazy woman trying to put together the perfect outfit... I know it's in there, just haven't found it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun and thoughtful perspective. I can't wait to read more! Coming over from Freckled Laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kristen,

    Jami over at Freckled Laundry sent me over your way! What a lovely post, btw!!! Looking forward to more visits to your site!


    Hugs,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found you through Jami, also. I can relate so much! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, too, found you through Jami. I love your blog, love your writing, love your wisdom at such a young age! (Yes, you are young, everything is relevant, and I have children who are older than you are). How lovely that you have found your place! At 65 I am still pulling things out and trying them on, including a new blog that I am still figuring out. I can so relate to your words, and look forward to more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous 3rd attempt!!! You are going to soar! I love your suitcase illustration. I too am in a new spot, trying on gifts and passions in my suitcase and seeing what it is I'm to wear in my new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well.said. I have a similar blogging experience and it has changed a couple of times because I changed and my interests continue to change. That's not to say that I won't go back to old interests. I guess my suitcase just keeps getting bigger.

    ReplyDelete